The Light-Art FestivalCluj-NApoca, NOV 27 - DEC 6
“Even in darkness it is possible to create light and encourage compassion” – Elie Wiesel, writer
Lights On is a light-art festival that takes place every year in Cluj-Napoca. In 2020, the third edition happens between November 27th and December 6th.
Main theme is Solitude, the ability to see beyond our lonelyness, a chance of introspection.
Given the 2020 Covid-19 Pandemic, Lights On is one of the few light festivals happening across Europe. That is because of the long running period and the sculpture-like works presented. No video mappings or projections are scheduled for this year.
Our AIM IS:
- to promote light artworks, a new niche of the visual arts, very young at European level
- to encourage the artistic expression of young Romanian creators, trying to showcase at every edition at least one new artwork created by local artists
- to establish and ease the dialogue between Romanian artists and foreign ones
- transform the city into a huge art-gallery by exhibiting light-artworks
The first light-art festival took place in Cluj-Napoca in 2018. Since then we made sure that people found our artworks in some of the most intriguing locations, starting various discussions surrounding themes of interest.
Themes Of Lights On
Awareness was the main theme for the second edition of Lights On, in 2019. We looked at what awareness means in three different sectors
- Relantionship between Individual-Community
First Edition – 2018
More than 60.000 people were impressed by the artworks presented during 6 weeks of event. Among them Mi-e Dor De Tine, Red Sun, Forest Spirits or Museum of the Moon.
ARtworks of 2020Nov 27 - DEc 6
Each year Daniel Popescu (artistic director), Raul Petri (artistic consultant) and Andi Daiszler (founder) select various works of art made by local or foreign artist in order to compose the light exhibition. This year the theme is Solitude. Check out selected works.